Q. How do I set up my CGTC email security?
As of Spring 2021, CGTC will be implementing improved security for your student email account. Access to a phone or mobile device that supports apps is required for set up, and will also be required each time you sign in to your email on a new computer or device. You will be prompted to provide verification in addition to your password. Depending on the method you choose, the verification code will be sent to either the phone number you provide or to an app on your mobile device. It is a good idea to have your phone or mobile device handy whenever you sign in to your email.
Option 1: Use the Microsoft Authenticator App (Most Secure)
For instructions on how to set up your account with the app, visit:
Option 2: Use Your Phone Number to Receive a Text Message or Phone Call
- Visit outlook.office.com.
- Sign in to your account with your CGTC email address and password. (You can look up your email address and reset your password in the Student Portal.)
- You will be prompted to provide more information. Select Next.
- Select Authentication phone.
- Select United States (+1).
- Enter your phone number, including the area code. We recommend using a phone number that you can access wherever it is you will be logging into your email. A mobile phone number is a good option.
- Select the method by which you would like to be contacted. We recommend Send me a code by text message. However, you can also choose to receive an automated phone call, instead.
- Select Next.
- You will receive a verification code by text message or phone call to the phone number you provided. Enter the verification code and select Verify.
- If you use the Outlook or Microsoft Office apps on your mobile device, you will need to create a new authentication app password. Select Learn more and follow the prompts to complete the process.
- Select Done to complete the security set up.